Congratulations to our San Vito Bird Club contest winners for 2021. As you may recall, this year we changed the contest from a Bird Feeder Contest (since Costa Rica frowns on feeding wildlife) to a three-pronged contest:
- Bird Feeder Contest for members who DO NOT live in Costa Rica during the month of February.
- Photos taken in February, in three categories; a. Birds having a meal b. Birds in action c. Still life
- Original Bird Act created during the month of February.
Here we go! First, second and third place in the Not-in-Costa Rica Bird Feeder Contest
First place with 17 species: Charles and Sara Beeson-Jones from Fen Ditton, United Kingdom.
- Blackbird (male and female) – Turdus merula
- Greenfinch – Carduelis chloris
- Goldfinch – Carduelis carduelis
- Long Tailed Tit – Aegithalos caudatus
- Blue Tit – Parus caeruleus
- Great Tit – Parus major
- Woodpigeon – Columba palumbus
- Collared Dove – Streptopelia decaocto
- Robin – Erithacus rubecula
- Pheasant (male and female) – Phasianus colchicus
- Hedge Accentor (also called Dunnock) – Prunella modularis
- Carrion Crow – Corvus corone
- Blackcap – Sylvia atricapilla
- Magpie – Pica pica
- Great Spotted Woodpecker – Dendrocopos major
- Chaffinch (male) – Fringilla coelebs
- Jay – Garrulus glandarius
Second place with 16 species, Judy Richardson from Connecticut, U.S.A.
1. Northern Cardinal
2. American Goldfinch
3. White throated Sparrow
4. Dark eyed Junco
5. Song Sparrow
6. Mourning Dove
7. Black capped Chickadee
8. Carolina wren
9. House Finch
10. Eastern Tufted Titmouse
11. Blue Jay
12. Red bellied Woodpecker
13. White roasted Nuthatch
14. House Sparrow
15. Chipping Sparrow
16. European Starling
Third place with 11 species, Peter and Petra Heck from the Netherlands,.
- House Sparrow
- Hedge Sparrow / Dunnock
- Blue Tit
- Great Tit
- Turkish turtle dove
- Wood Pigeon
Next, our Photo Contest Winners.
Winner of the Birds Having a Meal photo Jo Davidson.
Winner of the Birds in Action photo; Peter/Petra Heck.
Winner of Still Life photo; Jo Davidson.
Lastly, our Bird Art Winners.
Four bird paintings created during the month of February were entered. All four are equally deserving of First Place! Here they are, in no particular order.
Lydia Vogt’s Three Wood Storks
Helen LeVasseur’s Gray-cowled Wood-rail.
Julie Gerard’s Fiery-billed Aracari.
Lydia Vogt’s Golden-browed Chlorophonia.
We hope you enjoyed this posting. And thank you for your continued support of the San Vito Bird Club.